[Pythonmac-SIG] Experiences with 64 bit on PowerMac G5s?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:24:32 CET 2006

David M. Cooke wrote:

> I don't know specifically about the G5, but Numeric, numarray, and
> numpy are routinely compiled and run on 64-bit Athlon machines, so a
> lot of the bugs and such have already been shaken out.
>
> If possible, you should move from Numeric to numpy; one of the goals
> for numpy was better 64-bit handling. But numarray may still be better
> for extremely large arrays; haven't checked recently.

Well, numarray won't be updating much any more, and almost certainly won't be
addressing the fundamental problems with >32-bit arrays like numpy has. So go
for numpy.

  http://numeric.scipy.org/

That said, I don't think many people have actually been using >32-bit arrays
with numpy, yet, so there are probably still some issues to be worked out.

Disclaimer: I am a numpy developer.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com