[Pythonmac-SIG] Resource forks and HFS-metadata

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jan 18 23:21:28 CET 2006

The popen call in the below example is bad -- don't use that, it will
totally explode if either path has spaces in it.  You want to use the
subprocess module instead.  It comes with Python 2.4, but you can
just copy subprocess.py over if you're using Python 2.3.  The
subprocess module avoids quoting altogether by taking a list for
arguments and passing it directly to execve after the fork.

The second example does try to quote, but it doesn't do it
correctly.  Quotes are valid in paths, so the second snippet would
explode if the path had a quote in it (unlikely.. but possible).

I would also recommend against using FixupResourceForks if it
requires dev tools to be installed.

-bob