[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript, adding files to iTunes

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Apr 27 12:56:12 CEST 2006

Daniel Thorpe wrote:

>Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an Appscript / iTunes
>utility I'm trying to write. Does anyone know how I add m4a files to
>my iTunes library using appscript?
>
>So far, I have a list of filenames, which I want to add to my library
>(which I've got a reference to). According to app('iTunes').add.help
>() I have to pass the function a list of Alias(s). I think this means
>Finder alias files, but I can't seem to be able to create them using
>app('Finder').make().

Nope, no relation to Finder. 'Alias' is an AE type. Ch.6 of the appscript manual lists the common AE type <-> Python mappings.

Example:

from appscript import *
from macfile import *

files = [Alias(u'/Users/foo/some.mp3'), Alias(u'/Users/foo/another.mp3'), ...]

itunes = app('iTunes')
itunes.add(files, to=itunes.playlists['Library'])

HTH

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/