[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing wxPython with ActivePython and OSX

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Apr 25 00:13:56 CEST 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Charles Hartman wrote:
>> I did the "obvious":
>> 	sudo mv /usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.6.3.2rc1 /usr/local/
>> lib/ wxPython-unicode-2.6.3.2
>> and it seems to work. Did I create havoc somewhere else?
>
> probably not, but in general, you should use a sym link, rather
> than a re-name:
>
> sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.6.3.2rc1 /usr/local/
> lib/wxPython-unicode-2.6.3.2
>

> however, it looks like you're installing the new Universal build of
> wxPython into ActivePython. It may well work, but I think the
> Universal wxPython was built with and designed for the
> UniversalBuild at:

Something is very screwy here. Because I've been waiting for wxPython
before trying the Universal, I followed links, not from here, but
from wxpython.org/download.php ("You will need the Universal
MacPython available from Python.org") which took me to www.python.org/
download/releases/2.4.3 where there is a link to "Universal-
MacPython-2.4.3.dmg". I assumed I was getting Ronald's build. Is it
ActiveState's??? Perhaps -- to put it calmly -- there should a note
to this effect?

Can I now just download the one from pythonmac.org ("Universal-
MacPython-2.4.3-2006-04-07.dmg") and install it, and expect things to
work?

If you ask me (or even if you don't) this is a fiasco of links. Yes,
I was clicking a little cavlierly. But I've been a bystander through
a lot of this -- and if I can end up with the wrong (and in a way non-
functioning) universal build if Python for Mac, we've got, I submit,
a problem for new users.

Charles Hartman