[Pythonmac-SIG] Applets?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 24 20:31:22 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Along with the icon discussion (they look great, by the way) There has
been a lot of mention of BuildApplet and Py2Applet, etc. I'm a bit
confused as to what actually exists. This is my understanding -- someone
please clarify if I'm wrong:

BuildApplication:  Builds a complete *.app bundle, including the entire
python interpreter, etc. Is is not longer being maintained, and may or
may not work in a given instance.

BuildApplet: Builds a *.app bundle that does not include python, and
thus looks and acts like a "real application", but requires a complete
appropriate python installation. Also no longer maintained, and may or
may not work.

Py2App: Builds a complete *.app bundle (like BuildApplication) that
includes everything but python if the system python is used, and
includes everything if another python is used. It is more robust than
BuildApplication and is being maintained with a version supporting the
Universal build released.

Py2Applet: This does not exist. If it did, it would be like BuildApplet,
but using the Py2App code base. My understanding is that Bob I. (author
of Py2App) has no need for such a thing, and has thus not written it. He
has indicated that he will accept patches, however. (Have I got that
right, Bob?)

Oh, and BuildApplication and BuildApplet are not going to be included in
future versions.

Thanks for any clarification.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov