[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Michael Barber mjb at uma.pt
Thu Apr 20 16:41:49 CEST 2006

On Apr 20, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Jacob Rus wrote:

> On Apr 20, Brendan Simons wrote:
>> You do see other apps badging icons with the suffix.  It's standard
>> procedure for those files which can be opened by more than one
>> editor/reader.  Take PDF for instance.  The preview icon is there,
>> but
>> so is "PDF", as a reminder that you don't -really- need to open it
>> with
>> preview.
>
> Hmm... I would suggest that it's more about applications which can
> open
> more than one type of file.  For instance, Preview.app puts a "PDF"
> badge on those icons because it opens many types of image files,
> and has
> 24 different badged icons for PDF, JPEG, ICNS, TIFF, FAX, etc., as
> well
> as a "generic" icon with no badge.  The "PDF" badge shows up as a
> reminder that you aren't dealing with a JP2 file.
>
> I don't mean to be contentious here though.  I'm perfectly happy
> putting
> "PYTHON" on the bottom of the document icons.
>
> -Jacob

There is an interesting point to consider, here. As noted by the
above writers, Preview has different badges on otherwise generic
icons, although they interpret the reason for the badges differently.
Possibly, both reasons are intended.

However, the icons for Python are not completely analogous. With
Preview, it doesn't matter that much what kind of image file you
have: you open it and Preview shows it to you. With Python, we expect
quite different behavior for .py files as compared to .pyc/.pyo -- so
to me the real question is whether these two types of files are
distinct enough. My impression is that they are distinct enough, but
a bit more contrast wouldn't hurt, especially for smaller sizes. A
badge wouldn't help me, since they are normally too small to be
useful in column view in the Finder; I essentially don't use the icon
view.

So, what would the badge actually be for? Would it just be used to
distinguish between .pyc and .pyo files? Would a visual difference
between the two actually be useful? It wouldn't for me, but maybe for
others. I guess I'd say go with PYC and PYO badges, or none at all,
and rely on the stronger differences in the "page" part of the icon
to ensure that the more important distinction between source and
bytecode is clear. Moving the paired snakes badge off-center for the
bytecode, like in the current icons for Python bytecode, could
reinforce the difference, if desired.

I must admit to not being terribly concerned about the point on a
personal level. While I like the new icons very much, I doubt that
I'll see much of the one for .py files; mine will continue to look
like SubEthaEdit documents.

--
Michael