[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: MacPython icon mockup

Jacob Rus jrus at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 20 03:34:58 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:
> It's interesting to look at the icons for TextEdit, in
> /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/Resources/*.icns.
>
> And looking at the XCode icons
> (/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/*.icns), it
> looks like the "Mac way" of doing code icons (like for .py files) is
> to start with
> /Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Resources/wosfile.icns and
> add a text version of the file suffix, in our case ".py".  Apparently
> it should be a color; I'd pick green because the ".java" icon is a
> green one, and Python, like Java, is a byte-code interpreted language.
No, I disagree.  If there is any text, it should be in dark gray 18
point Lucida Grande, as per the HIG.  XCode uses colored file extensions
in its document graphics because it deals with many different types of
source files, and this keeps them distinguishable.  Python only has to
worry about python scripts, and so a document icon with a
distinguishable logo is sufficient (no need for text).  This follows the
example of apps like Script Editor.

As for the rest of the icons.  [Here][1] are several icons used by
various OS X apps.  Which of them should we draw on, and how?

-Jacob

[1]: http://hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/python/misc-icons.png