[Pythonmac-SIG] Fixing the documentation...

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 19 18:13:36 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 02:38:22PM +0100, has wrote:
> >        2.3 ic -- Access to Internet Config
>
> No idea about this. Anyone else know if this is still working/relevant?

It is basically deprecated for LaunchServices now.  It would be really
good if we could get a decent LaunchServices binding - as of now,
there are several, all of which have some problems (?).

> >        4.1 Carbon.AE -- Apple Events
>
> Ronald's been thinking it might be best to deprecate both Carbon.AE
> and Carbon.OSA and keep all the AE/OSA/appscript stuff
> together. Dunno if he's got any further on that yet; you could ask.

How far do you think your stuff is from being able to be incorporated
in the standard library?  It'd be much nicer to just replace it rather
than removing it.

> >        4.7 Carbon.Cm -- Component Manager
>
> According to Apple's docs CM is largely historical; modern apps should use Core Foundation's Plug-in Services. Other Carbon APIs still rely on it though, so do nothing.

Not to mention QuickTime and CoreAudio, which aren't going away any time soon.

> >        4.20 Carbon.Res -- Resource Manager and Handles
>
> According to Apple's docs, RM is historical, but I'm not sure about alternatives; need to check out Bundle Services. For now, probably do nothing.

Resources are still used quite a bit by OS X; don't think it's worth
deprecating.

> >        5. Undocumented Modules
> >        5.1 applesingle -- AppleSingle decoder
>
> No idea. Anyone?

Dunno, but it'd sure be nice if there were a programmatic interface to
Bom.framework (which does AppleDouble, zips and cpio files with Mac
metadata).  This is Apple's problem, not ours, though.

> >        5.4 icopen -- Internet Config replacement for open()
>
> Presumably in the same boat as '2.3 ic'. Anyone?

Yeah, deprecate for LaunchServices.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>