[Pythonmac-SIG] readline: where and how installed?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 13 18:47:46 CEST 2006

>> This is for Bob Ippolito -
>
> No it isn't, Bob didn't build the 2.4.3 release ;-)

Sorry sorry! Thanks for making that build, by the way.

>> What version of readline comes with the Universal MacPython 2.4.3
>> release? And is it statically-linked, or is there a readline dylib
>> somewhere in the python framework?
>
> It is a staticly linked version of GNU readline 5.1.

So... I have found that IPython exposes a bug in GNU readline 5.1,
sadly enough. This bug causes segfaults when the up-arrow key is used
under certain situations. Ugh. Fortunately, the extant readline 5.1
patches solve this issue nicely. Hopefully you'll get a chance in the
near future to update the Universal MacPython 2.4.3 distribution so
that it doesn't have this issue.

Also, a related query: Is there somewhere in the Python Framework
structure that is appropriate for placing dynamic libraries that
Python would link to? Judicious use of the install_name_tool and
friends could produce a libreadline.dylib that the python binary
would expect at a particular relative path from itself. This would
allow that library to be dynamically linked, yet still live within
(and be distributed with) the framework. Just a thought -- but it
might be more work than it's worth.

Zach