[Pythonmac-SIG] needed: simple gui toolkit with "japanese input" support

gabor gabor at nekomancer.net
Mon Apr 10 20:04:57 CEST 2006

Dethe Elza wrote:
> On 4/10/06, Gábor Farkas <gabor at nekomancer.net> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i'd like to write a simple python-mac application,
>> for which i need to choose a gui toolkit.
>
> The primary GUI toolkit for Mac-specific work is to use Cocoa via the
> PyObjC bridge.
>
> http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/
>
>> the problem is that i need to be able to enter japanese text,
>> for example with tkinter it is not possible.
>
> I imagine that Tkinter works if you use the system input methods, but
> I haven't tested it.

i tried. i simply cut&pasted a small Tkinter program with a textfield
(Entry object) from a webpage and tried it. but it was not able to
"accept" japanese characters.

>> i know that using pyobjc and doing directly cocoa would work,
>> but last time i checked it it seemed quite complicated.
>
> What was complicated about it?  It's hard to help without further information.

sorry. i should have written it more specifically.
all those "objc-specific" things make it look complicated imho.

look at:
http://svn.red-bean.com/pyobjc/trunk/pyobjc/Examples/Scripts/HelloWorld.py

"
delegate = AppDelegate.alloc().init()
NSApp().setDelegate_(delegate)
"

and things like that. i understand that there's just no other way if one
wants to use the "raw" mac-api, but i'd prefer something "higher-level".

>> so, is there something simpler? maybe a simple gui toolkit built on cocoa?
>
> There is a simple GUI toolkit built on Cocoa, it's called PyObjC.
> There are some efforts at making an even simpler interface, namely
> PyGUI and Renaissance, but I would recommend you work with PyObjC,
> build your UI with Interface Builder, and use AppKiDo to supplement
> Apple's documentation.
>
> PyGUI
> http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/

pyGUI seems right now perfect :-)

hmm... maybe i made a mistake not saying anything about what i'm trying
to build.

it's going to be a simple dictionary application,so it will only have a
VERY simple gui... some textfields and some buttons and that's all (for
now). so i simply don't need the complexity of the interface-builder and
so on.

i understand that it makes sense to learn it and so on, but for now,
pyGUI is enough :-)

many thanks for the information,

gabor