[Pythonmac-SIG] PyXML install problems

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Apr 5 04:19:26 CEST 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Todd O'Bryan wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 9:22 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> That will install py2app and related tools.  After that's done,
>> you'll have a new bdist_mpkg shell command which you can just run
>> in any directory with a setup.py and it will (more likely than
>> not) build a .mpkg out of it.
>
> Hey, it worked! I now have a universal .mpkg for PyXML. What should
> I do with it?

Zip it up and send it to me.. I'll see about creating a repository
for universal packages sometime over the next few days (weekend is my
best guess).

>> That means your MySQL libraries are PPC only and won't be
>> compatible with Python running on i386.  You'll want to obtain a
>> universal build of MySQL to link against.
>
> Yuck. MySQL hasn't released a universal binary; they have separate
> packages for PPC, PPC 64 bit, and x86. I could try building it from
> source, but my guess is that I'd very quickly be in over my head.

I'd just wait, then.  It's usually not worth learning the intricate
details of porting other people's software to universal binaries when
someone is almost definitely going to do it for you first.

It's probably not all that hard to take the PPC and x86 builds and
solder them together with lipo (there's a man page for it), but it
might also require some hacking on the header files (if they're
generated by autoconf or something).  I wouldn't personally bother
unless I had a pressing need to make a redistributable universal app
that really needs MySQL support.