[Pythonmac-SIG] PyXML install problems

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Apr 5 03:04:14 CEST 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Daniel Lord wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Do you get that if you install the latest XCode tools?
>>
>> I don't know if it's installed by default yet, but it's definitely
>> been in the past few releases of Xcode.  It might be an optional part
>> of the install.
>>
> Would this be a good way ti quickly figure it out:
>
> daniello ~      cc -arch i386
> i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files
>
> It looks like the compiler identifies itself as Intel-capable i.e.
> i686.
> Of course that is no guarantee the includes and libs are there, but
> its a good way to bet.
> I have Xcode 2.2.1 installed plus updated documentation for March
> 2006 (a whopping 270+MB download).

No, that's not a good way to figure it out.  The best way is just to
look for the SDK:
/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

If the SDK is not there, then you did not install it.

> As an aside and cautionary tale: I am just getting back on line--
> the 10.4.5 upgrade started corrupting files and eventually disk
> buffers and the super block.
> It seems I have had marginal DDR RAM for a few years, but it took
> the latest upgrade to really bring the problems to the fore.
> When Apple cautions you about buying cheap RAM--believe it!

I wouldn't blame the 10.4.5 upgrade for corrupted files.. that's
probably not a direct cause.  I'd chalk it up to coincidence that
your RAM or HDD started to fail at about the time that the upgrade
was installed.  It could've been happening long beforehand, but a
system upgrade would certainly bring that kind of problem to the
surface because it's overwriting files that are necessary for the OS
to function at all.