[Pythonmac-SIG] off-topic! BSD warning??

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Thu Jun 16 18:23:56 CEST 2005

This has nothing (directly) to do with Python, but I can't find any
answer elsewhere, and I'm sure people here know what's up.

I'm on OS 10.4.1. When I try to run OnyX or Cocktail (the versions
ready for 10.4), I get a fatal error phrased more or less like this:
"The BSD Subsystem is not installed". I know BSD was optional in some
earlier OS versions, but it's not any more. The standard test (type
'grep' in a Terminal window and look for "command not found" versus
the Usage message) says BSD is installed. I even went digging into
the 10.4 install disk and found a package for BSD, and ran that
installer and restarted. Still the same message! What in the world is
going on? Any enlightening much appreciated.

Charles Hartman