[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble installing CVS module kinds

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Jul 22 02:38:29 CEST 2005

I installed 2.4.1 from Bob (easy), but it was missing Numeric.  I
installed that, but that was missing the "kinds" module which my code
imports.  Robert Kern kindly informed me that kinds is no longer a part
of Numeric, but I could get it from CVS and he showed me how (which is
good since I haven't a clue when things get this deep in the modules
distribution and installation).

However, after getting kinds and running setup.py I get the following
message:

/tmp/501/Cleanup\ At\ Startup/57993.command; exit
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/Users/louispecora/Code/python/AddedPackagesfiles/kinds/Test/test.py",
line 3, in ?
    import unittest, kinds, sys
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kinds/__init__.py",
line 2, in ?
    from kinds import *
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kinds/kinds.py",
line 2, in ?
    import _kinds
ImportError: Failure linking new module: : dyld: /usr/local/bin/python
Undefined symbols:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/kinds/_kinds.so
undefined reference to ___gxx_personality_v0 expected to be defined in a
dynamic image

Exit 1
logout
[Process completed]

It appears that Python is finding kinds, but something else (involving
gxx whatever?) is missing.  Anyone know what's happening and, better,
how to get it working?

Thanks for any help.

--
Cheers,