[Pythonmac-SIG] not "MacPython" - right place?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 20 22:42:49 CEST 2005

William K wrote:

[Bob:]
>>If you put the headers anywhere else, they're useless because
>>nothing will find them.  Take the purist hat off, or install a non-
>>System distro of Python (e.g. Python 2.4.1).
 >
> Is that a Python thing, or a slipup by Apple in their distro of
> Python?  That seems a bit limiting if you can put libraries/modules
> where you want, but force headers to be in one location to be usable
> (while still letting you install them anywhere).

It's a Python thing mostly.

[Chris:]
>>unless you really want to do things yourself, the best bet is to first
>>look and see if the package you need is at:
>>
>>www.pythonmac.org/packages
>
> No Numeric for Tiger.

Use the Panther one. See below.

[Me:]
>>If it does worry you so much, then install Python 2.4.1, which places
>>its files in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and be done with it.
>
> You mean MacPython, right?  Is there a separate MacPython installer
> for Tiger?  The one I found (from March) says it's for Panther, and
> I'm a bit cautious of installing something meant for Panther on
> Tiger.  Are there any problems running that one on Tiger?

The Panther build works just fine on Tiger. Usually, Python packages
built on Panther will also work on Tiger. I am currently using the
semi-official Python 2.4.1 build from www.python.org on Tiger. The
packages at pythonmac.org for 2.4.1 work just fine on Tiger.

--
Robert Kern