[Pythonmac-SIG] Python+Automator?

Bob Savage bobsavage at mac.com
Wed Jan 26 00:28:08 CET 2005

On Jan 24, 2005, at 7:04 PM, has wrote:

>> The idea here is to develop Automator actions so that _end users_ can
>> automate with complete ease and simplicity, not to make the writing of
>> actions simple.
>
> False dichotomy. While I absolutely agree with the first, I see
> absolutely no reason why writing actions should not also be made as
> simple as possible. Otherwise you might as well argue that there's no
> point in creating languages like Python because you can already
> program anything in C.

It's a floor wax *and* a desert topping! Yes, ultimately end users will
be assembling pre-built pieces in an easy, visually obvious, snap it
together way. And yes, some people will be happy to pay someone else to
build a custom piece for them, so that they can snap it into their
existing set. And yes, there will be some clever folks in between who
might hire someone to do C programming, or perhaps have some legacy
code, and figure they can use Python to glue it into their or their
customers' workflow. Etc. and Etc.

I like has' idea that instead of a VB-like systems integrator group on
the Mac platform, these people might stumble across an article on the
O'Reilly site or something describing how to do something interesting
by writing Python code that is reusable as a component inside of
Automator. I would recommend that someone interested in writing said
article look specifically at a solution for the publishing industry.
That industry has bought into the idea of using Macs, but more
importantly, they have bought into the idea of assembling workflows
(using AppleScript, traditionally) in order to automate repetitive
actions. Perhaps processing of an XML file prior to feeding it into
Adobe's InDesign, but really anything cool that's a good read would
serve the purpose.

Thanks to has for starting this thread, and thanks to Bob Ippolito for
contributing code, since at least someone checking the archive can look
here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2005-January/012696.html