[Pythonmac-SIG] coding preference

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Jan 23 16:57:40 CET 2005

I have to say I fall between the two positions. Writing applications
that have some pedagogical component, as I often do, and finding that
90% of students can't run it because it runs only on Mac, gets really,
really tiresome in the long run. (An old tutorial Hypercard stack is
still waiting for me to find some way to port it, which PythonCard is
*certainly* not ready to do.) That's what brought me to Python in the
first place (and to wx in the second).

At the same time, the idea of doing separately tuned developments for
the GUIs of different platforms is simply out of the question. I don't
even *have* different platforms (I sneak onto a colleague's machine to
see if my Windows builds work). Certainly this distinguishes what I
write from commercial apps; but when you ask me to describe the result
as "throwaway," I balk.

Charles Hartman