[Pythonmac-SIG] problems installing PIL on 10.3

Wes Fraser wesley.fraser at nrc.ca
Sun Jan 16 21:09:55 CET 2005

Hey Everyone. I am having a few issues trying to install PIL for the
standard max os x 10.3 installation of python. Sadly, the only package
that won't build _imagingtk, is the only one I actually need. So if
anyone can help out, that would be great.

So here's how I am trying to build this. I have exactly followed the
instructions given at
http://plone.sourceforge.net/archetypes/known_issues.html

I get the same warning that they mention I would when I do a make. When
I go to do the $ python setup.py build , I get the following error:

building '_imagingtk' extension
gcc -Wl,-F. -bundle -framework Python
build/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.o bu
ild/temp.darwin-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/Tk/tkImaging.o -LlibImaging
-lImaging -o build/lib.darw
in-7.7.0-Power_Macintosh-2.3/_imagingtk.so
ld: Undefined symbols:
_Tcl_AppendResult
_Tcl_CreateCommand
_Tk_FindPhoto
_Tk_PhotoBlank
_Tk_PhotoPutBlock_NoComposite

I have tried to do this build form both the manual build and fink
builds of libjpeg, so I don't think that is my isssue. I would guess
that it has something to do with my tk install, but don't have any
ideas as to what I should do.

Can anyone shine some light on my issue?

Thanks much!

Wes