[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python Newbies

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Feb 11 18:36:27 CET 2005

Brendan Simons wrote:

> The IDE thread is a recurring one.  Here's my experience as another
> Python newbie.  I tried SPE, PythonCard, PyOxice, PyPE, eclipse and
> wing (under x11).  All work, but I found that each one had enough
> quirks (mostly UI inconsistencies, but some are downright unstable)
> that I was less productive than without.   Not to sell any short, I'm
> sure they will get better given time.
>
> FWIW, the winning formula for me right now is:
>
> 1) Editor:  TextWrangler (http://www.barebones.com/index.shtml).
>  -Free, "Made For Mac", Code Colouring,  Method Indexing, The ability
> to run scripts from the editor, More text manipulation options than I
> can count.
>
> 2) GuiEditor:  XRCed.py (comes with the wxPython install package).
> (Or code the wxPython by hand, which takes longer, but gives you a
> little more control over the result).
>
> 3) And an instance of terminal running python interactive mode.
> Actually, this is the most valuable Python tool I've found so far -
> it's like a scratch pad where I can quickly check assumptions, or test
> out ideas.
>
> The only thing I'm missing now is a debugger with breakpoints, call
> stack, and variable watches.  I'll have to settle for random print
> statements for now.
>
> -Brendan

You didn't mention the regular Mac Python IDE (maybe you did and I don't
know it by the names you used).  But it is pretty nice (no syntax
coloring is the most negative) on the other hand it has a debugger
that's very nice and easy to use.

But does it work with wxPython?  I know some things (Tkinter, I think)
doesn't play nice with MacPython.

I really like the ability to edit and just hit cmd-R to run the script.

The IDE could use some updating and wart removal.  Syntax coloring,
better scrolling (that's damaged right now), use of scroll wheel (if
present), a few other interface changes.

In the end it's my tool.

I don't really understand how your are doing the development.  You have
to jump to a term window to run the script?

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora

Code 6362