[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac User Python newbies

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 9 01:09:05 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>> Getting you, the Mac user who is familiar with scripting, up and
>> running with -
>> 1) Python

There are a number of good books out there. I recommend "Dive Into
Python" (in print or on the web) and "Learning Python"

>> 2) An IDE and debugger (Xcode?)

Don't be too dismayed by the lack of a fully-integrated IDE. While very
nice when getting started, I'm not the least bit convinced that they
really i8increase productivity in the long term. Among other things, I
edit a lot of other text than Python Code, and I can only make really
good use of all my editors features if I use the same editor for
everything. I find I can be very productive with a good editor and a
terminal. Check out iPython as well, for a better interactive
interpreter. Remarkably, with Python, I still find print statement more
efficient to use than a debugger.

>> 3) A GUI toolkit (wxWidgets?)
> I'd highly recommend PyObjC if cross-platform isn't an immediate goal.

Well, if it's a goal at all, consider other options. Otherwise, Bob is
right, even though I've never used it.

> Other than that, wxPython seems to be the default, but you'll probably
> have to fight with it to do what you want.

Bob, I know you don't think much of wxPython, but please don't bad-mouth
it this way. Those of us that use it don't feel like we're fighting with
it. The other cross-platform options are TkInter, which has been
problematic on the Mac for years, but is now better? pyGTK, which uses
X11 on OS-X, and PyQT, which has licensing issues. If you want all
open-source and anything resembling a OS-X look, wxPython is the only
real option, but you will end up with slightly less native feeling app
than PyObjC.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov