[Pythonmac-SIG] fink vs DarwinPorts?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Feb 7 18:24:13 CET 2005

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> On Feb 7, 2005, at 12:03, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:
>>
>>> Well, even if apt didn't suck, its license does.  Apple stays away
>>> from GPL software.  I'm pretty sure that there is exactly zero GPL
>>> code in Mac OS X (not Server) until you install Developer Tools.
>>
>> I think there's a fair bit actually -- gnutar, bash, gnumake...
>
> I could've sworn there wasn't.. maybe I'm thinking of Mac OS X past :)

I think bash appeared with 10.3.  Or maybe 10.2.  Don't know about
gnutar.

gnumake probably doesn't appear unless you install the developer
tools, my brain switched off thinking about your caveat there :)

> Anyway, they definitely seem to avoid it when possible.

Indeed.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Its unmanageable complexity has spawned more fear-preventing tools
  than any other language, but the solution _should_ have been to