[Pythonmac-SIG] How do I make a binary matplotlib distribution on OS-X?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 2 01:04:47 CET 2005

Hi all,

See my previous message about building matplotlib on OS-X. Now that I've
done that, I need to give it to some of my coworkers that don't have the
dev tools installed, and are aghast at the idea of typing ./configure;
make, make install.

So, how do I make a binary distro? I know I can get distutils to do it,
but it won't included the needed extra libs:

freetype
libpng
zlib

It seems I have three options:

1) Just give them a tarball of the compiled libs, ready to be dropped
into /usr/local (I don't like that option, what If I clobber something?)

2) Somehow put the libs inside the matplotlib distro

3) Statically link those libs into the matplotlib extensions

I have no idea how to do 2 or 3, but could probably figure it out.

What do folks suggest? Any pointers?

Also, what's up with the Packman databases? I think I saw a note from
Bob saying he isn't maintaining his. Jack, are you maintaining yours? If
either of these is being maintained, how would I get matplotlib into it?

thanks,
-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov