[Pythonmac-SIG] Solution to some SWIG Install problems on Mac OS X

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Dec 14 20:13:44 CET 2005

Christopher Barker wrote:

>HI all,
>
>Perhaps this is getting bit off-topic, but other seemed interested, so here
>goes. By the way, I didn't intend to send my whole diatribe about Windows
>security to the list, sorry about that.

Nah.  I  LOVED it!      :-)

> Well, matplotlib and wxPython solve very different problems. MPL by
> itself is
>
>not intended to build applications with. to do that, you use another GUI
>toolkit (wxPython, PyGtk, TkInter), and if you need plotting, you can embedd
>MPL windows in your app. There has been a long recent thread about doing this
>with wxPython on the MPL list recently. If you need plotting in your apps, be
>sure to read it.

Thanks will do (if I get some time).

>You might also want to check out wx.lib.floatcanvas. It's designed to display
>and interact with data in arbitrary floating point coordinates. It provides
>zooming and panning and simple projections(for maps). It could be useful. If
>it looks like it is, let me know and I'll send you the latest version and
>some more examples of how to use it (I wrote it).

This sounds good.  You are a handy guy.

>Yes, it is, but it takes a lot longer to write GUI code than simple raw0input
>calls!

Yep.  KISS is what I try to do to avoid the last 'S'.      :-)

>Get yourself on the wxPython-users list. In particular, check the recent
>threads initiated by Rich Shepard. he's like you: A scientist without a whole
>lot of CS background, learning wxPython for apps to drive his models.

Yikes!  Another email list, but sounds like good info.  thanks.

>I'd remove that setenv call altogether, It might override Apple's defaults,
>and break other things. If you switch to bash, that will kill it. Then you'll
>probably need a .profile file with at least this in it:
>
>export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
>or
>export PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
>
>depending on whether you want your stuff or Apple's as default in your shell.

Got a .profile started already.  Thanks.

>Rob Managan wrote:
>

>>While I have not tried WxPython I have built C modules for python
>>using SWIG and python's distutils. That trades the headaches of
>>makefiles for writing a setup.py file. I can give an example and they
>>really are not that bad once you have done it once!
>>

>I'd love to see an example. Does it run SWIG for you too?

It's the example that comes with the Swig down load, called,
appropriately,  'example'.

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora