[Pythonmac-SIG] Package installation

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Mon Apr 18 18:09:25 CEST 2005

On 18-Apr-05, at 8:12 AM, konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:

> No. The problem I have with it is not installation, but version
> management. Finding out what versions of what packages are installed
> is not straightforward.

If the problem is version management, the solution may not be to build
a new installer process.  Encouraging vendors to add metadata to their
distutils scripts for a) version, and b) a URL to check for updates,
would be useful.  A good place to start would be to build a tool which
goes through python installed libraries and attempts to determine the
version of each, reporting back with all the versions (and a list of
libraries for which version couldn't be determined).  Another low-tech
solution would be to start a wiki page with known latest versions, urls
to download the latest versions, and the above script.  No reinvention
of the wheel needed, just leveraging what we already have in a
different way.

--Dethe

When laws are outlawed, only outlaws will have laws.