[Pythonmac-SIG] Package installation

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Mon Apr 18 18:01:23 CEST 2005

On 18.04.2005, at 17:43, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Unfortunately it's not that simple because you want to change the way
> the runtime works.

But only by adding a strategy for searching for packages. Those who
don't use it will never find out.

> I don't think that Installer will silently downgrade stuff.  Packages
> that create

Does it keep track of version numbers then? The Apple docs are quite
silent about the installer.

>  inconsistent installations on upgrade are pretty rare.  Removing
> packages is just not something that needs to happen very often, and
> when you actually need to do it, you probably know perfectly well how
> to do it.

Removing is indeed frequent only as a step in updating. There are cases
where an update requires removing the old version first, e.g. when a
module has been replaced by a subpackage of the same name.

> Take a look at the archives and see how many people run into problems
> with multiple Python installations, etc.

Isn't that mostly because of MacPython and Fink Python being installed
in parallel? Fink Python wouldn't be concerned at all.

> All that said, if you still think it's worth doing then go write some
> code.

That was my plan, but it's always good to check first if there are some
evident problems that were overlooked.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen