[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE recommendation

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Apr 7 09:06:35 CEST 2005

On 07.04.2005, at 08:33, <Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with jEdit? (www.jedit.org)
> It's an GPL'ed all purpose editor written in Java that claims
> to also support Python.

I use it for editing, also for Python code, but it's just an editor,
not an IDE.

It has Python support for syntax coloring, and it is scriptable in
Python through a Jython plugin. The Jython plugin also provides a
minimal IDE for Jython, but all my code requires standard C Python, so
I don't use that feature.

My current setup is jEdit for major editing and Emacs for interactive
testing and debugging. I wish a single tool would be good for both, but
I can live with those two rather well.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen