[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: Localized project folder and .pth?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Apr 1 08:00:30 CEST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005, at 12:44 AM, Lee Cullens wrote:

> PS: One point I didn't notice in my first quick pass through relates
> to your recently mentioning not to use Package Manager anymore.  I
> checked out (and bookmarked) the newer package list you posted but
> there is one thing I miss.  Being a foggy headed old man (with
> post-its all over) I liked how the package manager told me if I had
> something installed.  Is the only work around to search with finder
> and check the version in get info?

Not yet,  it's currently in the extreme KISS (keep it simple, stupid)
phase and has no supporting tools (beyond the tools to build the
packages).  Either look in your site-packages folder, or peruse
/Library/Receipts/.  There probably are existing tools, not specific to
Python, that allow you to browse the package receipts in a nice way.

That feature is one of the reasons that PackageManager sucks.  That
check runs arbitrary Python code in-process, which can cause crashes
(at start!), instability, and the check only works once (if you upgrade
something, you must restart PackageManager to clear the stale stuff
from sys.modules).