[Pythonmac-SIG] obtaining versions of application bundles

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Oct 22 11:21:25 CEST 2004

On 22-okt-04, at 6:58, brad.allen at omsdal.com wrote:
> We have already crossed that bridge by hiring a developer (Walker
> Hale) to
> build a Python module to do that. He came up with a way to do it using
> Python's built-in support for Carbon on OS X. I'm hoping my employer
> will
> allow me to post more of the project code publicly, because we can
> benefit
> from "open source" scrutiny, and because some of it may prove useful to
> others.

Getting this plist from a 'plst' resource should be 10 lines at most
(but the challenge is of course finding the correct 10 lines:-).

If you structure this as an addition to plistlib (such as
plistlib.Plist.fromResource(filename, restype='plst', resid=0)) and you
can live with the rules for donating code to Python (basically that you
transfer ownership to the Python Software Foundation, www.python.org
has the details) I'd be happy to incorporate it into the standard
distribution.
Goldman