[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching #2

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Oct 21 13:59:48 CEST 2004

On 20-okt-04, at 21:33, has wrote:
> Disadvantages:
> - ATS must be running on every machine whose applications are being
> scripted (installation issues? permissions issues? add to startup
> items?)

This I would consider a showstopper, specifically the "must" bit.
There's all sorts of issues with starting daemons (like: will the
daemon be system-wide or per-user? What are the security-implications?
And what if different users have different versions of a program
installed? Different appscript versions? And that's only what I can
come up with in a few minutes of thinking).

I do think, though, that the daemon is a good solution to the caching
question. So I would propose to make the daemon optional, and continue
without caching if it isn't there.

Hmm, maybe the search order for terminology should be the following:
1. Check whether the developer has included precompiled terminology
(which could be an option to py2app)
2. Otherwise, check whether the ATS is running and obtain terminology
from there
3. Otherwise do the whole generation yourself.
Goldman