[Pythonmac-SIG] installing wxpython on panther

altern enrike at altern.org
Sat Oct 16 11:31:00 CEST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> On Oct 15, 2004, at 11:46 AM, altern wrote:
>
>> Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Remove 2.3.3.
>>> http://pythonmac.org/wiki/
>>> FAQ#head-45464eef844e198e465151f3b3953a4c15b9eacb
>>
>> i removed 2.3.3 (or at least i think i did it by following the
>> instructions on the FAQ). Now i managed to install pyopengl and
>> wxpython but i also need numeric and PIL. I am using the package
>> manager but it doesnt download them properly. I discovered that PIL
>> and numeric went into this folder
>>
>> /library/frameworks/python.framework/versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
>> packages
>>
>> while OpenGL and wx are in
>>
>> /library/python/2.3
>>
>> then i run python and i can import wx or opengl but not numeric or PIL.
>>
>> i would have thoght that all packages should be installed in the
>> default directory.
>

> Something broke your site-packages symlink!  It wasn't anything from
> PackageManager, perhaps the wxPython installer is broken?
>
> the site-packages folder should be a symlink to /Library/Python/2.3.
> Move everything from the site-packages folder to /Library/Python/2.3
> and then recreate the symlink.
>
> -bob

well. now its working. But i dont know how i did it. Suddently they were
all in the right place and i could import them. I tried to connect the
package manager to other urls provided by python.org but whenever i
wanted to download and install some package i always got a message
saying that i needed to install those packages manually. After that
everything was working ok. Weird.

anyway, its working and my problems are finally coding problems and not
installation issues :-) I am porting to mac some opengl+wxpython stuff i
developed under windows.

I get a "bus error" caused by this opengl code (it didnt happen on windows)
q = gluNewQuadric()
anyone knows if this is a bug? but maybe i would be better to ask in
pyopengl mailing list.

finally, i am trying to find a nice environment to code. under windows i
was quite happy with IDLE but the mac version dowsnt color the syntax
and there are some other featurtes missing.

thanks!!!

--
enrike