[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Oct 14 22:00:09 CEST 2004

I think you want to start with something of an architecture for getting
terminology, something similar to Python's import mechanism: there are
a number of engines that allow you to get at terminology data (one that
reads aete resources, one that starts the application and asks it, one
that uses the cache, etc), and these all use a common well-defined API.
You then provide a default set of engines in a default order, but the
users can change this order, or add their own special-purpose engine to
the front, etc.

How you decide that a terminology is "right" is also an issue: if you
want terminology for MyApp 1.0.1 and the first importer can supply it
for MyApp 1.0, do you continue searching? Ideally this would depend on
the script, but that puts the burden on the script writer.

And you probably have to think of *why* you want caching. The choice of
how to organise things depends on whether the main goal is to make
remote scripting possible, or to speed up access to local apps, or
whatever other reason there may be.
Goldman