[Pythonmac-SIG] Subdirectories in py2app?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 7 02:31:22 CEST 2004

On Oct 6, 2004, at 5:36 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I've been trying to build wxglade with py2app, but it does not seem to
> copy any of the subdirectories (/bitmaps, /codegen, /widgets, etc.
> Wouldn't it scan the current working directory of the setup script to
> copy these materials over?

No, py2app most certainly does not assume that everything in the
current directory should go in the app bundle.

> Also, adding these folders and files manually to the app bundle after
> it's generated (to the resources directory) doesn't seem to work. The
> app bounces in the dock and dies silently with no output to console.

I have no idea.. when you do strange things you get strange results :)

> I know documentation hasn't been written yet, but is there more that
> needs to be added to the setup.py script apart from the main
> application
> file (setup (wxglade.py)?

After having looked at wxGlade, it does a large number of things that
make it quite hard to bundle up in any fashion (it's too dynamic).. the
big two are:

- it expects to load code and data from the same place on the filesystem
- it loads lots of code dynamically, only from the filesystem

Basically what's needed is a packaged-application specific bootstrap
for wxGlade that does all of its code loading statically (new modules
surely aren't going to show up at runtime), and patch some globals in
common.py accordingly (it looks like the only source of this).. or else
you will have to specify the widgets and code writers *as* data files
and specify all of their dependencies explicitly.