[Pythonmac-SIG] #! line and simple dialogs [SOLVED]

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sat Oct 2 08:51:57 CEST 2004

On Oct 1, 2004, at 10:54 PM, Nathaniel Gray wrote:

> I actually meant dependencies for the casual scripter, not the
> end-user.  I'd love to be able to tell my friends, "Python makes an
> elegant replacement for AppleScript for your simple scripting tasks
> and you only need to install 1 package to make it work."  If
> EasyDialogs was just a little better it would already be true! :-)
> If/when appscript and/or PyObjC get into the core then the argument
> would become even simpler and much more convincing.

It is possible that Apple will include the current versions of PyObjC,
wxPython, and/or appscript with Tiger, but I wouldn't count on it and
it still won't solve the problem on Jaguar or Panther. There isn't a
whole lot of difference between installing PyObjC and wxPython from a
user standpoint, they both are distributed as disk images and get
installed by double-clicking a package file. Of course, you could use
the PackageManager as well, but that has other problems. AFAIK,
appscript is orthogonal to the issue of whether you do the GUI via
wxPython or PyObjC even if that GUI is a linear series of steps and
only uses dialogs for input. For scripting other applications appscript
certainly seems easier to use than PyObjC from the examples I've seen
and used myself. So, I think you're going to want to install two
packages, but neither are hard to do and it will work on different
versions of Mac OS X.

ka