[Pythonmac-SIG] Optional BSD package is required for (useable) Python?

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Tue May 11 14:21:03 EDT 2004

On 5/11/2004 7:35, "Glenn Andreas" <gandreas at delver.com> wrote:

> From a newgroup post this morning, it appears that /usr/bin/python
> isn't installed by default on 10.3 unless the user installs the
> optional BSD layer.  But as near as I can tell by using lsbom,
> Python.framework _is_ installed, but only the headers and shared
> library - none of the ".py" file (so none of the site files, nothing).

A Mac OS X machine without the BSD subsystem installed is crippled beyond
bothering with.  (Nothing like expressing an opinion as if it were a
fact...first time that ever happened in a mailing list.  ;-) )

A machine upgraded (as opposed to archive and install) from Jaguar or before
to Panther has a somewhat broken BSD subsystem and should be repaired (it's
possible that some Panther update since 10.3.0 has fixed the broken ones...I
don't know:  I fixed mine by hand).

I don't know why the BSD subsystem is an optional install.  I've heard
various ideas, including some sort of licensing issue.

  --John