[Pythonmac-SIG] associating file types and applications...

Martina Oefelein Martina at Oefelein.de
Wed Mar 31 15:17:31 EST 2004

Hi Tom, Daniel,

> On Mar 31, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Daniel Greenblatt wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick response Bob, I'm not sure this solves my problem
>> though (looking at my original email, I see it can be taken several
>> ways)...
>>
>> My understanding that although the Info.plist file informs the OS of
>> what
>> type of files a particular application bundle knows how to handle, it
>> doesnt necessarily tell the OS that it should use that particular
>> application when a file of that type is encountered....
>
> The default app to use when opening a document is a property of the
> Finder.  Users can always reassign particular document types to the
> app of their choosing using the Info window.  So, I'm not sure it
> would be considered "playing nice" to override that preference for an
> existing filetype.  I imagine if you introduce a new filetype, your
> app will automatically be the default app for opening those files.
> That's just my impression of how things work - I'm not an expert.

That's right.

Actually, you can force the app to open by setting the (MacOS9 style)
HFS creator code, but only for individual documents. However, in most
cases I think it's better to leave the choice to the user...

ciao
Martina