[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between pythonw and python?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Mar 31 10:39:10 EST 2004

On 31 Mar 2004, at 13:55, Jens Miltner wrote:
>>> Do you happen to know why the /usr/bin/python executable differs from
>>> the Python.app executable, when both are in the same
>>> Python.framework?
>>> I'd assume that when the framework comes with Panther, there
>>> shouldn't
>>> be two python executables...???
>>
>> It has something to do with the executable (aka argv[0]?) being seen
>> to be in a bundle.  Is your app that embeds Python a bundle?

And actually that is the only difference. /usr/bin/python and
...../Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python could have the exact same bits.

> Yes, it's an application package. I link against the Python.framework
> (or actually, I load it dynamically - not sure whether that makes a
> difference. Maybe I should try to link against Python.framework for
> testing purposes...)

Then it could be you're running up against a completely different
problem. Does the hosting application have its own GUI mainloop?
Because if it has (and note it could be implicit, if you use Cocoa or
CarbonEvents)  then you will probably run into problems with your
mainloop and Tk's mainloop getting in each others hair.
Goldman