[Pythonmac-SIG] Building MySQLdb on OS X.3

Tim Jarman tim.jarman at lineone.net
Tue Mar 2 12:45:30 EST 2004

Hello folks,
I'm having trouble installing MySQLdb on my shiny new iBook, possibly due to
my OS X newbie-hood. MySQL 4.0.18 is happily installed using the binary
installer but that doesn't seem to have installed any headers/libs -- not
unreasonably. So I grabbed a source tarball and hacked setup.py to point to
its copies of include files/libraries, which it finds OK, but the linker
bombs with the following error:

ld: table of contents for archive: /usr/local/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient_r.a is
out of date; rerun ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

Anyone seen this one before? Can it be fixed, and how? Or is there a prebuilt
binary of MySQLdb knocking about somewhere I can nick? (This kind of thing is
why I gave up on C many long years ago.)

Thanks in advance,

Tim J