[Pythonmac-SIG] [FWD] OSABase (update)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jun 11 04:09:04 EDT 2004

On 10 Jun 2004, at 00:21, has wrote:
> Anyway, Philip's currently cooking up his own MacPython OSA component;
> he's already done a quick version using OSABase's AppleScript-based
> bridge, and is currently genning up on Python and its C APIs with a
> view to doing a version. If anyone's interested in helping him on
> that, drop him a mail. Or if anyone wants to start on 'official' OSA
> component to go into the standard distribution, a good starting point
> might be Brent Simmon's OSAShell.

Donovan Preston has done some work on an OSA component for Python, and
he promised he'd try to find some time Real Soon Now to continue with
it (and I promised to help). IIRC he used OSAshell as inspiration when
he last looked at this, but I'm not sure whether any code was actually
used. And since then Bill Fancher's OSAPython has also re-appeared.
OSAPython does a lot more (it's not only an OSA component but also yet
another Python interface to sending AppleEvents, like appscript), but
it can at least be used as reference.

The main issue to finding out what can be reused is licensing.
Goldman