[Pythonmac-SIG] Pack Man issues on OS X 10.3.4

Markus W. Weissmann mww at opendarwin.org
Fri Jun 4 16:40:56 EDT 2004

On Jun 04, 2004, at 22:04, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Not possible, Fink and DarwinPorts both use their own version of
>>> Python.

yep, we actually use our own python, but the DarwinPorts tools dont
force you to. This is just the default we
make our stuff work for.

>> I don't mean you should install and use their version of Python
>> (which seems a bit of a stupid reinventing-the-wheel exercise), just
>> use them to manage third-party packages for MacPython where a
>> straight distutils-only approach isn't adequate for the task (which
>> is the justification for creating PackMan in the first place, if I
>> understand correctly).
>>
>> Can that be done (or made to work for minimal effort), or are they
>> really dumb enough that they can't play properly with anyone else?
>
> It's probably much less work to fix our own stuff than it is to fork
> someone else's package management system.  I'm pretty sure that the
> software Fink uses isn't license compatible with Python, since it
> comes from Debian, so that's a big minus.  If you really think
> DarwinPorts would be a good idea, then feel free to do the research...
> but I don't think it's "smart" enough to be ripped into pieces and
> used by us.  Besides, it's written in TCL.
>
> I think your effort would be better spent filing bugs, feature
> requests, and PEPs for what we have.  It's definitely not as
> fundamentally flawed as you make it out to be.  If you really do
> believe it's broken beyond repair, then feel free to start developing
> an alternative.

I dont know exactly how Pack Man works or what packages it makes
available, but using darwinports
python ports for you should be rather easy:
-Install DarwinPorts
-hack the python group code and replace the calls to
/opt/local/bin/python by those to /usr/bin/python
[/opt/local/share/darwinports/resources/port1.0/group/python-1.0.tcl -
edit two lines]
-install packages
-make packages from the stuff installed (e. g. 'port contents py-snmp'
-> list of files)

I dont know what you do about non-python packages that are required for
python modules but are not
supplied by OS-X, those of course will not work this (very easy) way.

cheers,

Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann