[Pythonmac-SIG] PackageManager tarfile MacOS9

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Jan 27 07:33:01 EST 2004

On 27-jan-04, at 9:10, Peter Maas wrote:
> I'm a Mac newbie but have some experience with Python (Win32, Linux).
> I tried to create a Tkinter app with Python 2.3-MacOS9. As Python-2.3
> no longer includes Tkinter I tried to install it with the Package-
> Manager. But I got an import error telling that module tarfile doesn't
> work for MacOS9. Has anybody an advice how to proceed? Should I use
> Python 2.2-MacOS9? Thanks for your help.

It was a valiant attempt of you to try Package Manager with
MacPython-OS9,
but it won't work.

First of all, Tcl/Tk was never ported to the Carbon model, and
MacPython-OS9 2.3
is Carbon-only, so Tkinter will never work in MacPython-OS9 2.3.
If you really need Tkinter, you have to get MacPython 2.2.3 and use it
only in
the Classic execution mode.

Second, Package Manager doesn't work on OS9, it is OSX-only. Part of
the problem is the tarfile module, but there are more problems. None
that
can't be solved, but noone did the work. And if you got it to work there
wouldn't be any package database to download from.
Goldman