[Pythonmac-SIG] Python C extensions that depend on dynamic libraries

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Jan 12 09:21:17 EST 2004

On 12-jan-04, at 15:10, Bob Tolbert wrote:

> does any one have any recommendations for docs that might describe the
> whole OSX/Darwin linker/loader mess at the lowest level? Commercial or
> from Apple, doesn't matter, just hopefullly something better than the
> ld man page.

"Mach-O Runtime Architecture" from Apple, it's in the developer
documentation that gets installed with the tools.
"man 3 dyld" is part of that in manpage form, but only part of it.

> And to reply to someone above, we do use g++ to link the extension.
> And I don't use distutils since when I started this project over a
> year ago, its support for C++ was marginal and support for multiple
> compilers and options was non-obvious and not documented. I build the
> python extensions in our tree using the same configure/make system
> that we use for everything else.

Hmm, I was really hoping g++ would be the answer. What you could also
try for debugging is turning on the various environment variables
mentioned in "man 1 dyld", they might make clear when exactly your
import is hanging.
Goldman