[Pythonmac-SIG] PyObjC Templates

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Fri Jan 9 06:23:25 EST 2004

On 8 jan 2004, at 23:28, Paul Sargent wrote:

> I've been working through various ObjC + Cocoa tutorials recently, in
> an attempt to learn how to do a proper Cocoa GUI. Now I've got to say,
> although Cocoa is nice enough, I'm a little less enamoured with
> Objective C. I'm not sure what it is, but it just feels inconsistent
> in some way.
>
> So.... PyObjC here I come.
Welcome to the club!

> Now I've just been sifting through the PyObjC documentation and
> noticed that it talks about some project builder templates. I
> installed PyObjC through the Package Manager from
> http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-7.2.0-Power_Macintosh.plist
> (Bob, I believe that's yours).
>
> Am I going crazy or are the templates not in those packages? I was
> just interested to see if they were any use. Is it worth my time
> tracking these down?

IIRC the official Package Manager database contains a 'PyObjC Extras'
package that contains at least the documentation and possibly also the
templates.

The PyObjC sources definitively include the templates. However, these
templates are only usefull for Mac OS X 10.2, OSX 10.3 no longer uses
Project Builder but uses Xcode. We have 1 Xcode template in CVS.

Like the standard Project Builder/Xcode templates you'll get a fully
functionally program when you instantiate a template. As a vi junky I
usually don't bother with using PB/Xcode, so I cannot tell you if it
will be worthwhile to spent time installing them.

I suppose it's time to work on a new release for PyObjC, the official
release is not as usefull as it could be on OSX 10.3.

Ronald