[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 20, Issue 23

Jon Schull jxsics at rit.edu
Sun Dec 19 18:37:38 CET 2004

The problem of multiple pythons on OSX is really really crippling.
I use visual python (which requires X which requires one python) and I
want to work in and run with the  standard OS X look and feel.

I spend literally hours every month or two trying (unsuccessfully) to
get the various systems to co-exist and the result is not  pretty.  At
the moment, idle doesn't work anywhere, at all.   Here's the tip of my
iceberg.  Suggestions welcome.
> 208-186-56-189:~ jis$ idle
> -bash: /sw/lib/python2.3/idlelib/idle.py: Permission denied
> 208-186-56-189:~ jis$ sudo idle
> Password:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/sw/bin/idle", line 3, in ?
>     from idlelib.PyShell import main
>   File
> "/sw/src/root-python23-2.3.4-2/sw/lib/python2.3/idlelib/PyShell.py",
> line 11, in ?
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.3/threading.py", line 13, in ?
>     from traceback import print_exc as _print_exc
> ImportError: cannot import name print_exc

The ideal would of course be a single python.  But failing that would
be a single installer that would put in place the two (or even more)
pythons needed in a manner that allowed one to work and install new
modules as needed, without risking obscure disasters.

> This is a known problem, which is explained in Mac/OSX/Dist/README:
>> Currently (November 2003) there is still a bug in the build procedure
>> for $DESTROOT builds: building some of the applets will fail (in
>> ``Mac/OSX/Makefile``) if you don't have the same version of Python
>> installed
>> normally. So before doing the distribution you should build and
>> install
>> a framework Python in the normal way.
>
> Unfortunately, the problem is rather difficult to fix. buildapplet (or
> py2app, or similar tools) will need to be told that we're in a
> destroot install situation, so that if it wants filenames it should
> use the non-destrooted version but if it actually needs the data
> that's in the files it should use the destrooted filename.
>
> I can live with the current workaround for MacPython installers, if
> it's a problem for darwinports file a bugreport and a solution may be
> available sooner:-)
> --
> Jack Jansen, <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl>, http://www.cwi.nl/~jack
> If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution -- Emma
> Goldman

Jon Schull, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Information Technology