[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Dec 16 20:52:56 CET 2004

On Dec 16, 2004, at 2:35 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> The way to tell it to include nothing is to build an alias bundle
>> (-A), which is for development only and doesn't create something
>> suitable for redistribution.
>
> Can you tell us more about what an Alias bundle is? Is like the old
> MacPython applet?
>
> What I would like is a bundle that includes all the code that isn't
> installed in the Python tree, but none of the code that is installed
> in that tree. Is that what an Alias bundle is?

--semi-standalone includes all third party code (anything used by
/Library/Python/2.3 and otherwise) and nothing else.  This is the
forced default if you are using a /System installation of Python.  If
you are using a third party Python, it is not the default.

an alias bundle is for development, like bundlebuilder's --link option.
  It makes symlinks to any data files, and runs your code in-place.
It's very very fast to build an alias bundle, and provides for a very
fast edit/run cycle.

The PyObjC documentation and tutorials have been updated to use py2app,
you might want to also read this:
http://svn.red-bean.com/pyobjc/trunk/pyobjc/Doc/tutorial/tutorial.html