[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 12, Issue 38

Daniel Lord daniel at brightfire.org
Fri Apr 30 17:11:10 EDT 2004

Just one opinion and experience and for what little it's worth: I find
that compiling from source but configuring and installing a 'framework'
install and using Aqua TCL/TK works but is problematic due to a few
sticky areas including: PIL which I cannot get to compile though I
haven't tried very hard, having to use pythonw as the command to force
OS X to behave properly, and some Tkinter GUI attributes are overridden
by Apples Gestapo-like UI enforcement (just  kidding about the Gestapo
comparison BTW but they are strict about it <grin>).

Non-standard paths due to the framework install are most likely are the
reason I struggle with PIL. This is a pain and it may be what Russell
is alluding to when stating that an aqua/Mac install can cause
conflicts and trouble. It appears it does.

Sticking with X/standard python is what I would do if I could do it
over again. I used to use Fink but have moved away from it FYI. Stay as
'standard' as you can and you'll avoid a lot of extra and cumbersome
work in the future. There is always something you'll want to use that
breaks on a 'non-standard' install. And if you are not particularly
skilled in the nuances of Python environments and I am not, though many
regular contributors here are, it is vexing to be unable to run some
standard and not-so-standard additions. X11 on OS X seems to work very
well as of Panther OS X and I second Russell's recommendation.

--Daniel