[Pythonmac-SIG] Setting PYTHONPATH on mac os x

Jim Harrison jhrsn at pitt.edu
Fri Apr 30 13:04:56 EDT 2004

on 4/30/04 11:25 AM, John P Speno at speno at isc.upenn.edu wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 08:49:40PM -0400, Jason Van Anden wrote:
>> Major newbie question - but one that was not so easy to parse out of a
>> Google search for "set pythonpath mac" - until now, hopefully, with
>> your help.  How do I add to the pythonpath on mac os x?
>
> I just added this to the Pythonmac FAQ here:
>
> http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Look in the general section.
>
> Please let me know if that answers your question.

Note that the Apple tech note referenced in the wiki entry ignores ignores a
number of details that would be useful for newbies: the correct format for
multiple paths associated with one variable name, how to get the Property
List Editor or other editing environment to find/open the .MacOSX directory,
and so on. There are also several utilities that can be helpful, such as the
RCEnvironment prefpane for viewing and setting environment variables, BBEdit
for opening and editing hidden directories/files and OnyX for revealing
hidden directories/files so that any editor can be used.

I added comments about these to the wiki entry. It would probably be a good
idea of someone knowledgeable checked my edit to make sure it's entirely
correct.

Jim Harrison
Univ. of Pittsburgh