[Pythonmac-SIG] building extensions that link against dynamic libraries - Fixed!

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Apr 26 15:12:06 EDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 12:27 PM, Bob Tolbert wrote:

> From this I get a bundle that can successfully be imported into the
> system Framework Python as well as Fink's python. This gives maximum
> flexibility to my customers to use either one which was definitely a
> goal. Clearly, I didn't use distutils since it would use "-framework
> Python" by default.

You can simply change the linker flags that distutils uses by sudo
editing the LDSHARED (definitely) and BLDSHARED (maybe) definitions in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/
config/Makefile

You will also need to make sure to have the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
environment variable set to 10.3 whenever you use distutils, or else ld
will probably complain since the default is 10.1 compatibility and this
linker flag was not available until 10.3.