[Pythonmac-SIG] Starting the IDE

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Sep 19 17:16:25 EDT 2003

On 18-sep-03, at 21:34, Joe Banko wrote:
[PythonIDE doesn't start, and this is the culprit:]

>>>    "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
>>>    PythonIDEMain.py", line 145, in makeusermenus
>>>      os.mkdir(path)
>>> OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/Scripts'

I've seen this reported before. George Thiruvathukal (hope I spelled
that correctly:-) reported this around August 15 (the subject, in case
you want to look it up in the archive, is "Python 2.3 OS X"). He
specifically
had problems with running the IDE as a non-privileged user. However,
he never answered my query for more information:-(

Upon startup the IDE tries to do os.chdir($HOME), and then work from
there.
Apparently this is either not working, or $HOME==/.

So, here's a couple of questions:
1. Do you also run as a non-privileged user (no admin rights)? If so,
could
you try it as an admin user, and see what happens then?
2. Do you know what $HOME is? If you have a file
~/.MacOSX/Environment.plist,
does it set HOME?
3. If you don't know the answer to the previous question, please use
the following
script
import os
fp = open("/tmp/homedir", "w")
fp.write(os.getenv("HOME") + "\n")
drop this script on BuildApplet, run the resulting applet from the
Finder,
open a Terminal window, type "cat /tmp/homedir" and report the results
here.
Goldman