[Pythonmac-SIG] Some new tools: plistservices, userdefaults, and CFPython

Sarwat Khan sarwat at sarwat.net
Fri Sep 5 20:51:01 EDT 2003

> I dunno if it's more functional than the pycfbridge... I've been able
> to get away with using the bridge's conversion functions and crossing
> my fingers and hoping what I wanted to get pops out.

It's more functional in that it handles datetime.datetime/CFDate and
CFData objects. It's also configurable for that functionality.

> Some quick suggestions:
> 	You should probably rewrite the module to use the existing pycfbridge
> for interoperability, like PyObjC and my LaunchServices do.

It's not actually a module though, and that's why it doesn't have a
setup.py. For an example use of the thing take a look at the source for
the userdefaults module at http://sarwat.net/opensource/ .

CFPython is meant for writing C code. I did hack in a module for
testing but that's not supposed to be used for anything else. It's like
choosing between putting pycfbridge.c or CFPython.c in your project to
translate PyObject*s into CFTypeRefs.

Although if you think it has a useful future a module, let me know; I
wrote it because it was an easier way of writing the userdefaults
module. I haven't considered it to be anything else.

{sarwat khan : http://sarwat.net}