[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Image-SIG] PIL 1.1.4 breaks Python 2.3 on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Oct 30 20:26:15 EST 2003

On Oct 30, 2003, at 7:54 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> I'm thinking there are 3 possibilities:
>
> 1) The setup.py file for PIL isn't following the Python guidelines for
> such files (where are those guidelines, do you know?).
>
> 2)  The Python guidelines for setup.py files are broken.
>
> 3) The /usr/bin/python on Panther is just broken (which would be too
> bad).

4) You have some other installation of PIL in your sys.path that it's
finding?  PIL works just fine in Panther with the version of Python
included with 10.3.  Did you tweak your PYTHONPATH for some reason?  Do
you have old 2.2 modules lying around?  You won't get a version
mismatch for anything built for Python 2.3.  Modules that were built
for MacPython 2.3 on Jaguar work just fine on the Panther installation
of Python 2.3, barring other issues.

This one is definitely your fault, I don't know what you did, but this
isn't reproducible and it's basically impossible to compile a version
mismatched Python module with a stock Panther+Xcode system (i.e. one
with no other .